Layered Mexican Salad
November 6, 2019
Layered Mexican salad
- 1 cup tri-colour quinoa rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus extra leaves to serve
- 2 corn cobs husks and silks removed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green capsicum finely chopped
- 400 g can black beans drained, rinsed
- 1 red capsicum finely chopped
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce finely shredded
- 1 yellow capsicum finely chopped
- 250 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika plus extra to serve
- 300 ml carton sour cream
Place quinoa, cumin and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a large tray. Cool for 20 minutes. Stir in parsley.
Meanwhile, brush corn with 1 tablespoon oil. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add corn. Cook, turning, for 10 minutes or until charred all over. Transfer to a chopping board. Using a large knife, cut kernels from corn, keeping corn kernels in chunks.
Place quinoa in a 4-litre glass serving bowl. Top with green capsicum, beans, red capsicum, lettuce, yellow capsicum, tomato and avocado. Combine lime juice and remaining oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over salad. Marble paprika through sour cream. Top salad with sour cream mixture, corn and extra parsley. Sprinkle with extra paprika. Serve.
Please follow and like me: