Vegan Lasagna with Cauliflower Bechamel
October 30, 2019
Vegan lasagne with cauliflower bechamel
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek white part only, sliced
- 200 g button mushrooms sliced
- 1 small eggplant diced into 1cm pieces
- 1 baby fennel trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 410 g can tomato puree
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Massel Vegetable Stock Powder
- 60 g baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves plus extra leaves to serve
- 1 small brown onion chopped
- 800 g cauliflower chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 6 large vegan dried lasagne sheets
- 600 g butternut pumpkin peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded vegan mozzarella
- Olive oil spray
- Extra 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Grease 2-litre-capacity, 5cm-deep, 22cm x 25cm (basbaking dish.
Heat 1/2 the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add mushroom, eggplant and fennel. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Add wine. Simmer for 2 minutes or until reduced by half.
Add tomato puree and paste, and 1/2 the stock powder. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in spinach and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add cauliflower. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until cauliflower starts to soften. Add flour. Stir to combine. Add almond milk, remaining stock powder and 1/2 cup water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender. Using a stick blender, blend cauliflower mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Place 2 lasagne sheets in base of dish. Top with 1/2 the leek mixture and 1/2 the pumpkin. Repeat layering once more. Top with remaining 2 lasagne sheets and cream sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Spray with oil. Bake for 40 minutes or until lasagne is golden. Stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat extra oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Sprinkle lasagne with breadcrumbs and extra basil leaves. Serve.
Please follow and like me: