June 6, 2019
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 35 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 50 minutes
- 1.3 kg Coles RSPCA Approved Whole Chicken
- 5 cm-piece ginger peeled, thickly sliced
- 2 spring onions cut into 4cm-lengths
- 1/3 cup 80ml sweet soy sauce
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick or quill
- 1 long red chilli thinly sliced
- 250 g rice stick noodles
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 150 g snow peas trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot peeled, julienned
- Red chilli extra, sliced, to serve
- Spring onion extra, thinly sliced, to serve
- Coriander leaves to serve
- Mint leaves to serve
- Lime wedges to serve
Place the chicken, ginger, onion, soy sauce, star anise, cinnamon, chilli and 8 cups (2L) water in a large saucepan or stockpot. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, prepare the noodles following packet directions.
Remove the chicken from the broth. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Use a fork to shred the meat, discarding the skin and bones. Stir the fish sauce into the broth. Add the snow peas and carrot. Cook for 5 mins or until vegetables are tender crisp.
Divide the noodles among serving bowls. Top with chicken. Ladle the broth mixture over the noodles. Top with extra chilli, spring onion, coriander and the mint leaves. Serve with lime wedges